LBM Research Associates offers solutions to solve even the most complex building design. On the tightest of lots or wide open acreage, short schedules or long-term projects. LBM can work with you to develop a cost effective Cor-Tuf® UHPC solution to meet your exact requirements.
Using Cor-Tuf® UHPC precast concrete products today is the solution of choice for architects, engineers, developers, and owners who have been quick to recognize the many inherent qualities of UHPC products.
LBM is capable of providing a wide range of finishes including brick face, decorative exposed aggregate, sandblasted and other decorative finishes. We are responsive to the designer’s creative needs, making it cost effective to use complex shapes and configurations. The smooth surfaces produced with precast UHPC concrete and ability precast, pre-stressed concrete to span long distances makes precast ideal for use in manufacturing and storage structures. Additional applications for UHPC precast include piles and deck for railroad and highway bridges, railway cross-ties, burial vaults, educational institutions, commercial buildings, public buildings, hospitals, libraries, and airport terminals.
Cor-Tuf® UHPC Construction Uses
Cor-Tuf® UHPC is the ideal replacement for standard concrete in just about any and all applications. UHPC is particularly beneficial in the following applications of traditional concrete:
- Precast pouring of larger and longer structural elements
- Injection or extrusion techniques (molding)
- Pre and post-tension components
- Precast internal and external beams
- Precast cladding or curtain walls
- Load-bearing wall units
- Shear walls
- Form work
- Cross-wall systems
- Longitudinal wall systems
- Unique shaped structural elements
- Precast edge, internal, and corner columns
- Hardened Façades
- Hollow core slabs
- Cast-in-place joints between precast beams
- Precast deck panels
- Cast-in-place joints and stud pockets of precast deck panels
- Link slabs between adjacent spans
- Precast parapets and side barriers
- Precast inlets for storm water management
- Tilt-up construction
Benefits of Cor-Tuf® UHPC precast:
- Increased energy efficiency
- Increased durability
- Minimal to no maintenance
- Diversity in design expression
- Repetitive pre-casting (faster production time)
- Consistent high levels of quality control
- Variety of finishes on load bearing and non-load bearing components
- Architects can design thinner concrete elements, improving the architectural appearance of their work.
- High modules of elasticity (MOE) which can be in the 7,500 ksi range
- High tensile strength compared to normal concrete
- UHPC has a higher bond strength to steel reducing the size of a concrete placement needed to bond concrete elements.
- Structural elements can be smaller and more lightweight compared to those made with normal concrete
- UHPC eliminates capillary pores making it impervious to water and salt penetration without sealing the surface.
- Extremely low shrinkage making it perfect for non-shrink grout
- UHPC transfers even the finest relief from molded surfaces resulting in more ideal architectural concrete pieces.
Some of the more innovative ways this new concrete technique is being applied include:
- Construction of thinner sections for complex structural forms
- Potential elimination of primary and/or secondary reinforcement
- Off-site manufacturing
- Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) – UHPC is ideal for the durable field-cast connections required in ABC.
- Retrofit and modification projects – Cor-Tuf® UHPC’s adhesive quality makes it ideal for repair and retrofitting of many structures, such as parking garage decks, spalled structural members, and building columns and walls.
- Architectural design – UHPC allows for the precise replication of architectural details. It can be casted or molded to match any desired appearance, including masonry, wood siding, board & batted, and textured concrete. Period-specific designs and demands for surface texture, color, and shape are now possible.
- Structures exposed to harsh elements – Structures such as pier foundations and bridges built over water that have foundations repeatedly exposed to salt water and moisture are ideal candidates for Cor-Tuf® UHPC, given its moisture and chemical resistance and impervious to freeze and thaw cycles.